No man is an island: Meet our Research Team!

Deliberation is the key! My first attempt to facilitate a community
participatory planning with the Mangyan Iraya tribe.

I woke up today feeling no pressure as to what to write about. I am enjoying a cup of hot choco at 11 in the morning while the weather outside slowly welcomes another season, spring! I set the mood with Starbucks music on youtube and we're ready! Without further ado, meet our research team!

Naecia focused as ever!

Naecia Cruel is one of my best friends in college, and fellow Landscape Architect. She travelled all the way from Antipolo to Mindoro for a week to help me out with my research. She transcribed nearly how of the interview we have had from our informants from Sitio Kuli-kuli, Abra de Ilog. Here, she speculatively inspects what Mr. Luisito Damiray draws on paper. I wouldn't have had started this research without her unwavering support and love for me. wink wink. She will begin her graduate studies at Yonsei University taking up MSc in Environmental Planning (I think so,,,)

Shaira joins some of the women in Sitio Calomintao during
the design charette for their home garden. 

The girl behind the camera, Shaira Fhaye Salazar! I met Shaira back in Elementary and we attended the same school in High School. Ever wondered how my photos have gotten to be so good and aesthetically-pleasing? Shaira was one of our school's top tier in photojournalism. I am really grateful to have her on board since day 1. She was with me for three fieldworks and I couldn't begin to imagine how my research would have turned out without her by my side. Thanks, Shai!

Kerstin beautifully models the traditional balanan. 

Our soon to be mom, Kerstin Lei Perez Maneja! Congrats on our newly-wed and soon to be mommy research member, Kerst! I lowkey wanted to be her first born's godfather. hihi. Kerstin was my first contact person when I approached the DENR (Department of Environment and Natural Resources) sector in my hometown. She was prompt and accomodating with my queries. I also met her back in high school. The team wouldn't happen without her support and ability to make things happen. It all started to you, Kerst! Yey

Kuya Jayson pretintiously enjoys our design charette. Kidding!

Whenever Shaira and I are on the same picture together, it sure must have been taken by Kuya Jayson. He is also currently part of the DENR Forestry Team. I was so lucky and thankful to him for driving me and Shai to Sitio Calomintao on my last fieldwork. Although I have only worked with him for a day, it was definitely one to remember! Credits to his patience for supporting my craziness, all fairness to him!

Kuya Marlon and Kuya Gerick reunites with Mr. Rene Boy Tobias.
On my first fieldwork attempt, I was nervous not having to meet all of my target number of informants. Luckily, apart from driving Naecia, Shaira and I to Sitio Kuli-kuli, our two resident kuyas interviewed a couple of residents from the sitio. Kuya Gerick joins us for another fieldwork in Sitio Calomintao. He is the reason behind the success of a large portion of my thesis because he introduced us to Nanay Caridad and Kuya Paulo who shared an unbelievable amount of information with our Team. Kuya Marlon was very helpful in sharing his insights and experiences closely working with the members of the Mangyan Iraya tribe. With these two, I am so grateful that my expectations for day 01 of my research were exceeded!
My two favorite foresters, Shaira and Kerstin! Yey to #WomenInSTEM!
Our Team attempts to reenact the tribe's famous punishment, tigi!
Off we go!

Not minding the scorching heat of the sun, Naecia and Shaira
happily pose for the camera!
Adorable kids of Sitio Kuli-kuli with Shaira!
Not minding our shoes! Vamanos!



Written by: Charl Justine Darapisa
Photos by: Shaira Salazar

Credits to the DENR Mamburao for the field assistance!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Terrible Twos: The Mangyan Iraya Tribe towards Dependency, and Continued Self-Sufficient Forest Conservation

They Called it Punishment for a Reason!

The Art of Making Pilapil